Sunday, July 20, 2008

Less than electrifying

The first session of the day at MAM was challenging. The back end was loose (as expected due to overstear when I was used to understear) and the charging system decided to stop working. I got a few laps in, but then Saturday was shot. Went to the parts store for an alternator, and a battery just in case. Didn't fix the car. That night I found two grounding straps. Put them on Sunday morning. Still no dice. Ended up starting the car with the jumper cables and used them to pre-charge the battery for the event. For the most part it worked, until it got hotter outside or I didn't give it enough time. In those situations I'd have to keep the revs high and not let the engine die. Push in the clutch and it would. I've got some ideas how to fix it... take it to someone else!

Regardless of the headache, I still had fun and did get an ok time. I'd bet that my best time would have been in the low 1:53 range. Far from where I should be, but it takes more practice, and likely more parts to sort everything out.

No comments: