Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The car that started it all



This car was my grandma's car. She purchased it brand new in 1969. There was a trade in... my late grandfather's car, which was also a Mustang. I never met him as he died in 68. She hesitated to take the trade in and pick this car up. When she saw it the first time she commented on the hood. It is like a Mach I hood, but it is a coupe. She indicated "they forgot to paint the hood". I'm so glad that Ley Motors in Lakota Iowa talked her out of having it painted. I've never seen another one like it and Marti has indicated that there *may* be less than 200. My thoughts are that the car has the GT hood option, but back "in the day" quality may not have been 100% and it could have been a mistake. Probably so since I don't believe that my grandmother and father ordered that option, since it is a plain jane car. 302, auto, posi and that's it. This is the earliest car in my collection, and one that I'd never get rid of. It is part of the family. While I don't race it, I do enjoy the car. If you get a chance take a look at the near perfect interior, untouched since new.

No comments: